My Blog List

Saturday 24 February 2018

12 games 12 sets of rules

I have had a good start to my wargaming year so far, managing to play 12 games.  Variety is something I enjoy and I have been quite chuffer to have a run of playing different rules, with 7 of them being new to me.  The balance has been 7 historical and 5 not which is also good.  The sequence will be broken on Monday as I am plying a game with the new GW Battle Companies expansion.  Allthough the name of the rules have changed this is essentially Lord of the Rings which was my first game of the year.


The last game of the sequence was a Pulse of Battle game against Doug, hosted by Tim.  Thanks to Tim by the way as 4 of the games have been at his house using various incarnations of Piquet rules.  They tend to attract a rather narrow playing base as the flow of games can be very unpredictable and many find them rather frustrating.  A heavy dose of Fog of War and the inability of generals to get their troops to act when needed is not everyone's cup of tea.


The game used the same armies as the Archon game the previous week.  This time I took the Ancient Britons and Doug took the Romans.  I had the advantage in both games in that the Romans were markedly superior under Archon and much less so under Pulse of Battle.  In both games I benefitted from poor combat dice being rolled by my opponent and won the games as a result.  The picture below shows my left flank where my 'Ancient British Panzer Division' (who remembers that quote?) won the day for me.



Games 12
 Rules played 12 New 7
Places played 3 New 0
 

3 comments:

  1. Good stuff Dave. My HotT force is nearing completion, so, that'll be another game to add to the list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to it. My army is semi historical Napoleonic with an Airboat

    ReplyDelete
  3. An unbelievable high number of games!

    ReplyDelete